Oracle re-brands Sun certification
Oracle has decided to re-brand Sun certification under its own brand name. First the sun website redirected to Oracle.com, then the javadoc links began to look more different than ever before. Now the red tinge we are all becoming familiar with has found its way into the certification domain.
So what does it mean for those that are already certified ? The gist of the changes which are effective from Sep 1 2010 are summarized below
- The change is only to the title of the certification and not its contents / syllabus.
- Old Sun exam numbers are now mapped to new ones.
- Anyone taking say a java programmer certification after Sep 1 will earn the title ‘Oracle Certified Professional, Java SE 6 Programmer’ instead of ‘Sun Certified Java Programmer (SCJP) SE 6′.
- You cannot request a certificate re-branded under Oracle if you already own a Sun certificate. You need to take the exam again or upgrade.
- Previous vouchers that were purchased from Sun still remain valid.
If you would like more details check out the page from the Oracle website that details how Sun certification is now fully integrated with Oracle. There is also a PDF reference document if you are interested in taking a quick glance.